Monday, March 5, 2012

Vocabulary Creations


Oh my! Today was a GREAT day! 

First off - I danced in front of all the elementary school for our school fundraiser program. Let this be made clear I do NOT dance ~ at all period. The program our school uses is amazing. I completely understand why all my kids were so psyched about it. It was contagious and I danced. . . 

I had a blast teaching today. Starting Monday off right really does set the tone for the rest of the week. I figured out a couple ways to get through to a couple of my difficult sweets and it was SUCCESSFUL! Who knew one little skittle could be such a motivation booster. I've said it before and I will say it again "If you are EXCITED about what you are teaching your kids will be EXCITED." 

There is something I've been wanting to share with you guys. Now we all teach vocabulary and if you don't I would be a bit bemused. About a month ago when I was thinking of some ways to make learning fun I came up with this vocabulary introduction activity. My sweets keep asking when we will do it again. So far, we've been doing at the beginning of every new reading story. 
Here is how it works ~
1. Split your sweets into mixed groups (I have three groups in my classroom)

2. Assign each group a couple new vocabulary words (I assign about 2 vocabulary words to each group)

3. Tell them they will be paying charades so they must keep their assigned vocabulary words TOP SECRET (my sweets are extremely serious about this part)

4. Give each group a piece of white construction paper per a vocabulary word

5. Each group is responsible for finding the book definition, creating a definition in their own words, create a sentence with it, draw it, and think about how they will "act" it out in charades. 

6. I give my kiddos this sheet:
Vocabulary Creations FREEBIE

They fill it out as a group and then they create a "poster" for each vocabulary word they were assigned. The poster must included the book definition, a sentence, and picture "showing the vocabulary word.

7. When time is up I have each table "act out" their vocabulary word(s) and the class must guess what the word is (this is the charades part). Once the class guesses correctly they explain their poster and what they found.

This is an example of some finished posters. The words were: ranch, exhibition, dappled, and landscape business.

I would love to know some ways you teach vocabulary in your classroom!


5 comments:

Trisha said...

Love this, perfect for my read aloud comprehension check!!

Firstgradefrosting.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm so glad! I was just on your blog catching up on some of your older posts! I'm loving them.

Brittany
Sweet Seconds

luckeyfrog said...

I love this and can't wait to use it! I've pinned it and now I'm a follower. Thank you for sharing such an interactive learning tool!

Andrea Brown - Cheers To School said...

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing! I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower!

Andrea
Cheers to School

Darleen Chautin said...

I just printed out this activity! It is so cute. I plan on using it with my class today! If you have time, stop over and check out my blog:
http://thirdgradelove.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Darleen
Third Grade Love

Post a Comment