Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spelling Speed Words Double Consonants


A couple of weeks ago I created a spelling game for my sweets to use that coincides with our spelling program (Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections ~ AMAZING). Before I began creating my own stuff I searched all over TPT and TN looking for some materials that go right along with our spelling program and couldn't find anything. I try each week to create a game to help students simply spell the word and a game to help students identify patterns in the words and sort them accordingly. This week we began with an anchor chart with 3 words on. I had the students at the rug and read the words to them. I asked them if they could see any patterns in all three words. . . and they DID! I haven't quite taught a spelling lesson like this before and I am never going back to the old way ~ I loved it and my sweets LOVED it. Every time we identified a pattern we wrote in on the chart. Then to wrap it up I had them turn-and-talk to a partner and try to each come up with a word that fit the pattern. It was so much fun and then they were allowed to write it on a post-it and place it on the anchor chart. Honestly, I was a little disappointed that today in spelling there was no new skill just a simple review which they ROCKED. It's so true if you are excited about what you are teaching your students will be excited.

This took about 25 seconds to make before I began teaching it with the sweets! 
Speed Spelling Double Consonant Words
Just wondering. . .
Does anyone else use Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections (I use third grade in second grade)? 
How do you teach spelling?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Brittany,
I have awarded you the Liebster Blog Award. Stop by my blog to copy and paste the award and get info. Very cute blog!
Tammy
http://secondhelpingsforteachers.blogspot.com/

Heather Perkins said...

Cute blog! Check out my new 2nd grade blog if you get a chance.
http://secondgradeperks.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment